Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ghosts of Christmas Past, Dec 16

What can you do to promote world peace? 
Go home and love your family.
~Mother Teresa

Hello Family and Friends,

Greetings from San Diego as Christmas fast approaches. Can there be another holiday more suited to the celebration of family than Christmas?

In this post I would like to share some of my favorite Christmas pictures from years past.

The first one is the oldest Christmas picture in my entire photo library. As you can tell from the fold marks that mar this image, we are lucky that it is still in existence. Taken 60 years ago this month, it shows my older brother Gary (4 yrs old) on the left holding my sister Linda (4 mos. old), and me on the right (2 yrs old). My mom Maida Shepard tells me this about the picture:

"That was Christmas 1950. We were living on Ulric St. in San Diego. The dolls in the front of the picture were made by me and our neighbor Betty Peterson who lived at the other end of the complex. Money was tight that year. She and I got together and salvaged stuffing from an old mattress and made the dolls for Christmas. I don't know how her boys reacted to the dolls. I remember you kids were quite thrilled with them." 



Now fast forward almost 60 years to the second picture. Taken just a year ago it shows the 4 grandchildren of the older boy in the first photo, Gary Shepard. 

In the Santa hats are Mandi and Lyndsey Aquiningoc, and Nate and Kyle Sauvage, who are GGgrandchildren of Will and Bura Shepard, and Leroy and Nola Gower. The girls are daughters of Kerri (Shepard) Aquiningoc; the boys are sons of James and Kelly (Shepard) Sauvage. All four of these Santa elves and their parents live in Weatherford, Texas.

The third picture is from about 1980 -- time wise right in between the first two pictures -- and shows Santa Claus with my parents Gene and Maida Shepard with Gene's mother Bura Davis Shepard. This picture was taken at their home in Anacortes, Washington when Bura lived with them. Can any of you identify the not so jolly fellow on the right?

2011 Family Reunion Aug 13? As we try to find the best date for our family reunion next summer, it appears that Saturday, August 13 in Anacortes, Washington suits everyone that I have heard from. Do any others of you have input on whether or not that is a good date?  
- - -
Steve

No comments: