Tuesday, February 08, 2011

That Peculiar Hysterical Charm, February 8, 2011

In every dispute between parent and child, both cannot be right,
but they may be, and usually are, both wrong.
It is this situation which gives family life
its peculiar hysterical charm. 
~Isaac Rosenfeld

Hello Family Members and Friends,
 
Phillip Wilk: 1935-2007. I am remembering Phil Wilk, who was born exactly 76 years ago today. He was the parent of two young children in 1974 when his wife, my cousin Beverly Russell Wilk died unexpectedly in San Diego. He lived over 35 years in San Diego but spent his last years in Atchison, Kansas, which is where his partner Frank, his daughter Shannon, and his granddaughter Emma still live.

Emma and Shannon Wilk
Shannon: "I would love to share some memories of dad with you. He LOVED to cook. Watching the cooking shows, and trying new stuff out on us! That's where I got my love of cooking.

 
"I remember many of his stories. Once his oldest sister Paula was getting ready to go out, when silk stockings were in fashion, the kind with the line down the back of the leg. Due to the silk shortage, she would draw a line down her legs, to look like she was wearing them. Dad  would wait till she got half way done, then jump out and scare her, and she would have to start all over again. He would always laugh when he told that one. He had one of those voices that just drew you in and you would listen, calming in a way.
 
"I could talk to him about anything. I can remember always knowing that things would be okay when he was around. He took charge, had that 'authority figure' about him. Even my friends would call him to ask a question or advise. Mostly it was questions about cooking. lol. I miss him, his voice, his laugh. I miss his smile. Ha!! I miss him cooking me chicken soup when I was sick. Dad was a good man, a smart man. A stubborn man. But he was my daddy. And I loved him deeply."


Uncle Hank Gower and Paula Tuzzolino
My Cousin Paula. Yesterday was the birthday of my cousin Paula Tuzzolino. I have recently gotten back in touch with Paula after many years of very little contact. She is the 6th grandchild of our grandparents Leroy and Nola Gower and the daughter of Vicki Gower Johnston of Oak Harbor, Washington. Happy Birthday to Paula on this milestone birthday!

Paula and her husband Frank presently live in Sun Lakes, Arizona but they actually split their time between Sun Lakes and their home in Oak Harbor, Washington, "the best of both worlds," Paula says. She also told me that her birthday was celebrated casually, because she is recovering from some health issues, and Frank will be going in for shoulder surgery later this week.

Jeff and Kim Clark
Happy Anniver- sary to Jeff and Kim! I just noticed that a few weeks ago, on January 18, Jeff and Kim Boyd Clark of Blue Springs, Missouri, celebrated their 4th wedding anniversary. They are almost still newlyweds! Best wishes to them for many more happy years together.


Valentine's Day Pictures, Anyone? Next week I will include a Family Photo presentation for Valentine's Day. Do you have pictures of family members kissing or hugging? I invite you to email them to me so that I can include them in the presentation.

Family Reunion, Aug 13, 2011 in Anacortes, Washington. Select this link for a web page with all the details. As more details become available, they will be posted there.
- - -
Steve

No comments: