Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Points of Pride, Sept 28

The measure of a woman's character
is not what she gets from her ancestors,
but what she leaves her descendants.
~author unknown

Hello Shepard family and friends,

Greetings to all of you from warm and sunny San Diego where somehow the word has not reached us that fall has arrived. It has been warmer this week than it has been all summer. My last two posts were celebrations of our family's move to the West Coast 70 years ago. In this post I want to celebrate family events as current as tomorrow's newspaper.

Happy Birthday. Speaking of tomorrow, it is the birthday of Cathrina Helms Clark, wife of the esteemed Jerry Clark of Lubbock, Texas. This first picture today shows Cathrina and Jerry and was taken this summer on "The Top of The Rock" in NYC.

Cathrina: Jerry and I have been staying extremely busy and have had a great summer! Traveled to New York with my parents in June and went to San Antonio with Jerry and Susan's business and stayed at a wonderful resort. We went to Myrtle Beach, S.C. with Amanda and Chris, Susan and Andrew to celebrate 30th and 60th birthdays. Had a wonderful trip! Made me miss the Carolina Beaches. We managed a weekend trip to see Amanda and Chris and also a weekend trip to see my grandchildren. Jerry went to visit Becky, Matthew, Emmerson, Miller and Brooks and is planning a trip for my birthday to Estes Park, Colorado. Terry (Jerry's brother) and wife Susan are coming for a visit in October. We also enjoy spending some time with our grandchildren in between trips! Oh, I can't forget that we spread rock all over our front yard this summer. A huge job!  Jerry did most of it. I did help after work. The neighbors are as happy as we are to have this done!

A First Day of School. I recently got a letter - with pictures! - from cousin Shannon Wilk of Atchison, Kansas. Her daughter Emma (see her picture on the left), one of the GGgrandchildren of Will and Bura Shepard, celebrated a special milestone a few weeks ago when she attended her first day of school. 

Shannon: "Here are some pictures. Emma looks just like me, poor kid! Her first day of school went well. I only cried a little bit. ;-) She is having a great time and really likes riding the bus. She got mad when I told her she doesn't go back to school till Monday. Too cute! I will remind her of this when she doesn't want to get up Monday morning!"

A Last Day of School. A very different milestone was reached last Friday when another GGgrandchild of Will and Bura, Lyndsey Aquiningoc of Weatherford, Texas, graduated from Kaplan College. Congratulations to Lyndsey on her last day of school. The third picture shows Lyndsey with her mother Kerri (Shepard) Aquiningoc.

Kerri said: "Another milestone in my life is happening. My daughter Lyndsey is graduating from Kaplan College. She has earned her right to be a Dental Assistant and I am so very proud of her. I know now she will make something for herself. CONGRATS Lynds. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH and I know your DAD is very proud of you too!"

Proud seems to be the operative word of this post - proud of Lyndsey for graduating, proud of Emma on starting school, and proud of Cathrina for getting within 10 years of my age with such grace and charm!
- - -
Steve

No comments: